The beginnings of Polanica
When choosing a holiday anywhere, it is worth getting acquainted with the history of the place where we will spend our dream holiday. The beginnings of Polanica-Zdrój, i.e. the city where our accommodation is located, are not particularly easy to decipher, but most likely from the second half of the 14th century, the place where our apartments are located became famous as a health resort. It was through the area of today's Polanica that a very important trade route, called the Polish Road, ran. Before you visit our apartments in Polanica-Zdrój
, get acquainted with the past of this charming place.
It is difficult to determine the beginnings of the settlement, which developed over the centuries into today's city - spa. It was probably established in the second half of the 14th century, during the period of increased colonization of the foothills. Its oldest names: der Heyde (1363), Heida (1463), Heidaw (1477), Heide (1479) indicate that the town was founded in a forest clearing. Already at that time, a frequented trade route called the Polish Road, leading to the Czech Republic to Silesia, was crossed by a foothill road from Bystrzyca Kłodzka to Radków
and further to Broumov. An area near water was chosen - between Bystrzyca Dusznicka and Potok Lipnicki. The settlement was first mentioned in the town book of Kłodzko from the years 1324-1424 and the Kłodzko state court book for knights from the years 1346-1390.
They show that the then Polanica belonged to the von Glaubitz (Glubos, Gluboczów), a knightly family who came from Miśnia, among others. Hussite lords. In the second half of the 15th century, a large part of Polanica belonged to the von Lazan (Łozan) family. In 1494, the last of the family, Sigmund Seidlitz von Lazan, dies. Its property is taken over as a fief by the prince of Ziębice and the count of Kłodzko, Henryk Podiebradowicz, and in the same year he transfers it to the monastery of the Augustinians in Kłodzko, who own Polanica for 101 years - until 1596. Through Pope Clement VIII, he donates properties, including Polanica, to the Jesuits of Kłodzko. In the meantime, in 1556, the settlement of Neuheide (Nowa Polanica) was established north of Polanica.
Both villages belonged to the parish in Szalejów Górny. From 1538, part of Polanica belonged to the Kłodzko hospital as an endowment donated by the city. At that time, 7 springs gushed in Polanica. Some of them were already well known, since the Kłodzko chronicler Aelunius mentioned them in 1625 in his "Glaciographia" (description of the Kłodzko region) among 12 towns of the Kłodzko county with healing springs. In 1630, the Jesuits enlarged their farm in Polanica through purchases and built a wooden manor house. Polanica was also affected by the destruction of the Thirty Years' War: in 1645, the Swedish unit of Colonel Douglas burned down the buildings of the Jesuits in Polanica. The owners rebuild the wooden manor in 1650. The second piece of information about mineral springs comes from that time.
In 1699, the Jesuit manor burned down again. Therefore, in the years 1706-1708, the Jesuits built a brick mansion located on a high escarpment above Bystrzyca Dusznicka, which they used as a place of rest for themselves and the residents of their college in Kłodzko. When in 1773 Pope Clement XIV dissolved the Jesuit Order, the Polanica part became the property of the Prussian treasury and as such was transferred to the Royal School Office in 1776, and in 1788 it was acquired by Count von Rheden. Another part was bought by Count von Haugwitz from Szczytna. The third part belonged to the Kłodzko hospital, and the fourth, the smallest, to the parish in Szalejów Górny. The mineral springs gushing out on the property of Count von Rhoden were forgotten at that time.